The finalists in the 2018 Godolphin Stud and Stable Staff Awards have been selected from a record field of 300 nominations. The judging panel, led by South Australia’s chief stipendiary steward Johan Petzer, have settled on 14 finalists from whom the seven winners will be chosen. “The GSSSA, now in its fourth year, is a fantastic initiative supported by Godolphin, Racing Australia and Thoroughbred Breeders Australia,” Petzer said. “The judging panel continues to be impressed by the outstanding quality of the nominations. There is no doubt the quality of the nominees in 2018 is impressive, which makes the task of determining the winners a difficult one for the panel.” The winners, plus the overall Thoroughbred Excellence Award winner, will be announced at the official Stud and Stable Staff Awards Ceremony at Morphettville Racecourse on Friday, 4 May. The finalists in each category are:
- Leadership – Peter Keating, Newgate Farm (NSW) and Jade Rossington, Willow Park Stud (NSW).
- Horsemanship – Warren Sutton, McEvoy Mitchell Racing (SA) and Scott Eeles, Godolphin (NSW).
- Dedication To Breeding – Angus McAlpine, Eureka Cambooya Stud and Patrick Sheehan, Coolmore Stud (NSW).
- Dedication To Racing – Joe Agresta, Malua Racing (VIC) and Steve Adams, Anthony Freedman Racing (VIC).
- Administration – Michelle Nichols, Arrowfield Stud (NSW) and Hannah Dick, Widden Stud (NSW).
- Thoroughbred Care and Welfare – Lee Purchase, Darren Weir Racing (VIC) and Liz Andriske, Saleyard Thoroughbreds (VIC).
- Newcomer – Jarom Rhind, Armidale Stud (TAS) and Meg Stanley, Kathryn Durden Racing (VIC).